Easily Backup Your WordPress Sites
One of the things we look for in plugins is simplicity. There are way too many plugins out there that have five or ten pages of functionality. We recognize that for some plugins it is required, like security plugins. However, on something like a backup utility, simple is better for us.
When it comes to a simple backup plugin Backup WordPress did the trick for us.
Unfortunately the last version of this plugin we actively used was Version 2.3.3, which is old enough to not even actually be in the changelog. We had not used it for a while due to some issues we encountered, such as backups that would stop scheduling or freezing when trying to do manual runs. We replaced it for a time being with Xcloner, but also ran into issues with that plugin which we will write about in another post in the near future.
We like the features of this plugin such as simple one touch backups. We are going to take another look at this backup plugin as more then a year has passed. We hope to find some new features and functionality but also hope to find it as easy as we remember.
After checking it over briefly we do see something we like, the ability to backup to sites like DropBox. One key feature we would love to see implemented would be the ability to “mass-delete” the backups. This could be done with check boxes or even a “delete after download” option.
Below are the many, many updates that have been done since last year. As you can see there has been several major changes.
- Version: 3.0.2
- Author: Human Made Limited
- Last Updated: 12-02-2014
- Requires WordPress Version: 3.8.4 or higher
- Compatible up to: 4.1
- Average 5-Star Rating: 4..6
3.0.2 / 2014-12-02
- Bump version
- Add parenthesis to require_once
- Remove disk space info
- Attempt to fix build
- define WP_TESTS_DIR
- Make sure current_action fnction is loaded
- Remove extra slashes and semicolons
- Remove the custom webhook service
- Better default WP_TESTS_DIR
- move trailingslash calls out of the loop for performance
- Minor code cleanup
- Correct path for hm-backup so it’s tests are run
- add composer.lock
- Use scrutinizer code coverage
- add waffle.io badge
- Use up to date commands for coverage
- Add code rating
- Don’t test 5.2
- Update readme.md
- excluded_dirs is deprecated
- Update scrutinizer config
- Add composer config and dev dependencies
- Make PHPUnit generate an XML for coveralls
- Add scrutinizer config
- Ignore vendor dir
- Add a link to Help page
- Move to activation hook
- Bump up required WP version
- Escape all the things
- Save errors to a notices option
- Reload page on errors
- Remove script
- Remove unneeded class
- Check PHP version on plugins loaded
- Check PHP version on activate
- Update readme
- Set required version to 5.3.2
- Update tests
- Allow for a 30 second delta in asserting schedule time
- Use the new build env on Travis
- Restrict plugin to be network only
- Fix admin URL logic
- Update readme changelog
3.0.1 / 2014-11-20
- remove uneeded images
- latest hm-backup / fixes a serious bug in backups.
- Typos in v 3.0 changelog
- Specify POT filename in grunt task
- Update POT file
- Markdown readme
- Regenerate readme
- Add plugin headers
3.0 / 2014-11-14
- Refactor the recursive filesize scanner
- correct text domain
- Remove unneede statements
- reload the excludes filelist in the correct place when someone excludes a file
- Latest backdrop
- Regenerate minified CSS
- Regenerate minified JS
- Fix cancel backup action
- WordPress Coding Standards
- Exit early if incompatible version of WordPress
- Update translations
- Update changelog
3.0.0-beta / 2014-09-08
- Load minified CSS
- Biweekly wording
- Add missing period
- use nonce_url instead of manually adding the nonce query param
- close the settings form when done
- Design changes as per ticket
- Start tracking langauge in server info
- Right align the primary button in the enable support modal
- Re-factor the directory filesize code to use a single array instead of thoussands of transients
- Remove the warning that would show if you were using anything other than the latest stable, it’s no longer needed now that the FAQ is local
- switch to using a single transient to store directory filesize data
- Add an anchor link
- Add error message
- Rename function
- Prefix GET params
- Update exclude rule action
- Adds function for building admin action urls
- fix vertical scroll
- Adds some functions to manage settings form submission errors
- Rename nonce and action
- fetch errors to display
- Form submission handling for BWP and add-ons settings
- Use a new function that persists form submission errors to a transient
- None check
- Pass the nonce around in the ajax request
- Enable support action links
- Check nonces
- Modify action URLs to use the admin_post hook
- Remove unneeded code
- New line at end
- Use admin_post hook
- Display schedule start time in local timezone
- Add an action hook that gives access to consumers to the backup progress
- Update translatable strings POT file
- Bump version
- Update min WP version and tested up to
- accidently used dash instead of underscore
- namespaced option and added option to uninstall.php
- basic show/hide of premium upsell
- Fix incorrect transient expiry
- Show the spinner in the tab if a schedule other than the current is running
- Snip snip
- Switch to the PHP 5.2 compatible version of Backdrop
- Finish up support
- Brace up single line if’s and foreach’s
- Only load minified scripts and styles if WP_DEBUG isn’t on
- Load the minified css and js files by default
- Remove the combined css files as we only have one now. Stop loading colorbox.
- Remove colorbox
- More improvements
- Don’t die when directly running a backup on page load
- Re-factor the backup filesize calculation
- make capability filterable
- use core capabilities instead of custom
- Switch to Backdrop
- Fix typo in prefix
- Hook function onto admin_post
- Update delete link
- Bookmark current admin page for redirect
- Add custom capabilities and role
- Exclude BackUpWP by default
- Ignore the build folder
- Add more build excludes
- minify JS
- generate markdown readme
- minify css
- combine css
- regenerate readme
- Make links consistent for the grunt task
- Convert URLS to markdown
- Update lang files
- Add colorbox as bower dependency
- remove colorbox folder
- Remove colorbox submodule
- Change how we include FAQ
- Add readme partials
- Add package.json
- Add Gruntfile
- Add bower.json
- JSHint rules
- remove from ignore
- Update ignore list
- Add bower config
- Add FAQ strings
- Return the cached directory size early if we have it
- Re-factor the file browser scanner
- correct sprintf usage
- Handle saving service forms
- Codeing standards
- Move the error check outside of the foreach
- Remove uneeded $is_tab_visible
- Only show excludes for backups which include files
- Show destinations in the list of schedule links
- WordPress standard modal for enabling support
- Remove extra slash in include path
- Add a heading to the settings form
- More work on excludes
- Another todo
- Add some todos
- Don’t include the parent directory in a browsable list
- More work on Excludes
- Switch to only storing 3 backups by default
- More work on redesign
- commented out enable support button till we figure out what to do with it
- made tabs responsive below 639px
- More work on redesign
- Add more default excludes
- Correctly highlight the tab for the first schedule
- Switch to tabs instead of subsubsub
- First bash at a redesign settings UX
- Reverts a change to how the home path is calculated as it caused issues on installs where wp-config.php was stored outside of web root. Props to @mikelittle for the bug report.
- Bump minimum WP requirement to 3.7.3, the latest security release on the 3.7 branch.
- Fix an issues that could cause schedule times to fail to account for timezone differences.
- Add a nonce check to the schedule settings.
- Fix a possible JS warning when removing an exclude rule.
- Our unit tests now run in PHP 5.2 again.
- It’s now possible to choose the time and day that your schedule will run on.
- Introduces several new unit tests around schedule timings.
- Fixes a bug that could cause the hourly schedule to run constantly.
- Improved the layout of the Constants help panel.
- If the backup root directory is unreadable then the plugin will no longer function.
- Update the backups table match the standard WordPress table styles.
- Improved styling for the settings dialogue.
- Improved styling for the Server Info help tab.
- /s/back ups/backups.
- Remove Deprecated call to
- Updated French translation.
- Update the
WP CLIcommand to use the new method for registering command.
- Reload the schedules when re-setting up the default schedules so they show up straight away.
- Only show the estimated total schedule size when editing an existing schedule.
- Stop stripping 0 from the minutes on hourly backups so that backups at 10 (& 20, etc.) past the hour correctly show.
- Disable buttons whilst ajax requests are running.
- Move spinners outside the buttons as they didn’t look very good inside.
- Improve the detection of the home path on multisite installs which have WordPress in a subdirectory.
- Track the time that the running backup is started and display how long a backup has been running for.
- Fix an issue that meant it wasn’t possible to run multiple manual backups at the same time.
- Many other minor improvements.
- BackUpWordPress now requires WordPress 3.7.1 as a minimum.
- Remove some old back-compat code that was required because we supported older WP versions.
- It’s now possible to change the email address that notification emails are sent from using the
- The spinner is now retina!
- Close the PHP Session before starting the backup process to work around the 1 request per session issue. Backup status will now work on sites which happen to call
max_execution_timeand the BackUpWordPress Plugin version back to support. * Include the users real name in support requests
- Stop passing
$_SERVERwith support requests as it can contain things like
.htaccesspasswords on some server configurations.
- Improve the display of the server info in the enable support popup.
- New screenshots
wp_safe_redirectfor internal redirects.
- In WordPress Multisite the backups admin page is now located in Network admin instead of the wp-admin of the main site.
- Fixed an issue with the new intercom support integration that could cause loading the backups page to timeout
- Fixed 3 stray PHP warnings.
- BackUpWordPress will now always be loaded before any BackUpWordPress Extensions.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a long modal (excludes) to show underneath the WP admin bar.
- Add missing colorbox images
- Support for new premium extensions for storing backups in a variety of online services.
- Exclude the WP DB Manager backups and WP Super Cache cache directories by default.
- We now use Intercom to offer support directly from within the plugin, opt-in of course.
- More i18n fixes / improvements.
- We no longer show download links if your backups directory isn’t web accessible.
- Fix a bug that caused the plugin activation and deactivation hooks from firing.
- Correctly handle
MYSQL TIMESTAMPcolumns in database dumps.
zipare now correctly recognised on SmartOS.
- Schedule names are now translatable.
- Avoid having to re-calculate the filesize when a schedules type is set.
- Compatibility with WordPress 3.8